To expose students to strategy and the process of strategy formulation in business and
of issues and perspectives in strategic
management and corporate policy.
integrating course focuses on the art and craft of designing strategy. Emphasis is on how to analyse a company’s
environment, select a superior competitive position and carry out actions that
will enable success in the marketplace. Throughout the course, there will be a
strong emphasis on issues relating to global corporate strategy and analysis of
the competitive business environment. Students develop their skills through
application of concepts using the case method and simulations.
The topics in this course include but are not
of strategic management
Issues in Strategic Management
end of this course, students will realise the contribution of Strategic
Management to the success of any organization.
course will be delivered through lectures, discussions, case studies and
1. Grant, R. M. (2010). Contemporary strategy analysis: Text and cases, 7th
edition, John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Hunger, J.D. & Wheelen, T.L. (2011). Strategic management
and business Policy, Pearson Education.
3. Johnson, D., Scholes, K. & Whittington, R. (2009). Exploring corporate strategy, Prentice
4. Lampel, J., Mintzberg, H., Ghoshal, S. & Quinne, J.B.
(2014). The Strategy process: Concepts, Contexts, Cases. New
5. Monks, R. A. G. & Minow, N. (2011). Corporate Governance,
5th edition, UK, John
Wiley & Sons.
6. Pearce, J.A. & Robinson, R.B. (2011). Strategic
management: Formulation, Implementation, and Control, 12th edition, Irwin, McGraw-Hill.
7. Thomspon, J.L. & Martin, F. (2010). Strategic Management: Awareness and change, 6th edition, UK, SOUTH-WESTERN.